Project Brief

Welcome to my blogbook for my Negotiated Portfolio; the final module of my Ba(Hons) Journalism degree.

Please make sure you head right back to the oldest posts in order to see all of my thought processes and research, or if you prefer, click the tags relevant to the articles within the portfolio which can be found to the right hand side of the blog.

Many Thanks,
Emma x

Project Brief

In this unit you will be required to produce an 8,000-word (or equivalent) portfolio of journalistic work that is targeted at existing publications and online media outlets, together with a log book or blog that documents your research and decision making process and a critique of your work.

Using the core journalistic skills already accrued on the course you will be expected to produce a number of pieces that demonstrate an appreciation of both audience and style. With the support of a tutor and through peer group work you will initiate ideas and develop a portfolio of marketable stories.

Your portfolio must include an appreciation of online journalism and include at least one item that is written/designed for the web. You may, if you choose to, submit a new magazine concept for part or all of this assignment.

Sunday 15 May 2011

Extra Research For studying later in life feature

Following my meeting with my tutor as discussed in a previous post I have decided to take a new approach to my profile feature on Linda Blight and her decision to study later in life. I have decided to stick with the theme of adults studying at degree level and will be writing the article as more of a feature story piece.
I have interviewed three more adults who are studying a degree through the Open University. These interviews will work with the interview already done with Linda Blight. Linda's case study will be the most prominent in the article, but hopefully these interviews will be able to support her answers. Here are some quotes from the interview.
Interview with Dave Masterson, aged 43.
Why have you chosen to study later in life?
"Because I didn't appreciate the value of education at school age."

How is this degree benefitting you as a person?
"Greater opportunity for promotion and responsibility since achieving the degree."
Would you have chosen to study at this level, and as this time in your live, without the OU?
"Definitely not. Working from home, and part time, were critical requirements in the time I had available to study."
Interview with Jo Clarke, aged 50.
"I wanted to be a Primary School teacher after leaving school but was advised by teachers at Secondary school there were not any jobs in teaching at the time. Consequently advised to study
Secretarial studies (more jobs)."

"After working in local government for a short time had my own family of four sons, then childminding, got involved in pre-school/school life.  I decided to stay at home to care for my own sons for ten years."

"I believe I have grown in personal confidence, skills and knowledge. Since attending the degree courses my pre-school has moved from being a ‘Good’ setting to ‘Outstanding’ maybe this is something to do with my further learning."

Interview with Julie Hughes, aged 39.

"After starting out in one career, family life altered  and a new career path was needed.  I am using OU to retrain"

"I chose the OU because I studied and a brick uni to begin with but work commitments and money matters meant this was no longer possible. I didn’t want to stop all together so decided to study in my own time and wanted a recognised institution to do this with rather than private providers."

"Without OU I would probably have stopped at my foundation degree, at least for a while. OU has meant that I can continue my CPD."

"This degree will not only help in my existing post (HLTA) but is also going to enable further career development in the education field. (Teaching I hope)."


I have also spoken to Jennifer Spinks, a press officer for the OU. She has provided me with a quote from Head of Teaching and Learner Support at the OU, Christina Lloyd, as well as some facts and figures about The OU itself.
Quote From Christina Lloyd
"We offer students a very different experience compared with traditional universities. Students make a positive decision to come and study with us because of their personal circumstances - they may be concerned about accumulating debt or they may have a job they want to hang on to. At the Open University students can build up work experience while studying and may even use the results of their study directly at work.

"Unlike traditional universities, students do not have to commit to a named degree when they first enrol. They can sample modules from a variety of disciplines to contribute to an Open degree. This gives greater flexibility. In addition, students can study a number of modules simultaneously, if time allows, or they can take breaks if they need to, and pick up study again when it is convenient to do so.

"The Open University is a vibrant, friendly community that reaches out to welcome everyone within it. Our students have excellent support online and there are opportunities to meet at tutorials and residential schools. Every student has a personal tutor and receives individual support and feedback throughout their study. This explains why the Open University is scored at the top of the universities league table for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey each year."

Facts and Figures
·         The OU has been one of the top three UK universities for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey every year since the survey began in 2005. In 2009/10 it had a 93 per cent satisfaction rating.
·         The OU is the UK's only university dedicated to distance learning

Our student profile
·         Over 29,000 students are under 25

·         Nearly 25% of all new OU undergraduates are under 25 this year (19,982 students)
·         In 2009/10 there was a 20% increase in course reservations by students under the age of 25 compared with the previous year
·         The average age of our new undergraduate students is 31
·         Only 9% of our new students are over 50
·         11,608 OU students have disabilities
·         16,033 OU students are studying at postgraduate level
·         61% of OU undergrads have no previous HE qualifications
·         Over 70% of OU students work full or part-time during their studies
·         Around 9 in 10 part-time students study to further their career aims.

No comments:

Post a Comment