Project Brief

Welcome to my blogbook for my Negotiated Portfolio; the final module of my Ba(Hons) Journalism degree.

Please make sure you head right back to the oldest posts in order to see all of my thought processes and research, or if you prefer, click the tags relevant to the articles within the portfolio which can be found to the right hand side of the blog.

Many Thanks,
Emma x

Project Brief

In this unit you will be required to produce an 8,000-word (or equivalent) portfolio of journalistic work that is targeted at existing publications and online media outlets, together with a log book or blog that documents your research and decision making process and a critique of your work.

Using the core journalistic skills already accrued on the course you will be expected to produce a number of pieces that demonstrate an appreciation of both audience and style. With the support of a tutor and through peer group work you will initiate ideas and develop a portfolio of marketable stories.

Your portfolio must include an appreciation of online journalism and include at least one item that is written/designed for the web. You may, if you choose to, submit a new magazine concept for part or all of this assignment.

Saturday 14 May 2011

Studying Later in Life First Draft

46-year-old single mum of three, Linda Blight had her family life set out for her. She was your typical army house wife, so when her husband left her and her three children she had a battle on her hands. With no career or strong job opportunities Linda took it into her own hands to better herself, and prove to the world that it wasn’t too late for her. Now studying a degree at the Open University, Linda’s prospects have never been so great.
What were your career goals when you were younger?From when I was a little girl I always wanted to be a nurse, there was never anything else in my mind apart from getting married and having children.   I got my O levels and did a Pre Nursing course at the local college until I was old enough to apply for Nursing training.
I trained in Kingston Upon Thames and qualified as a State Enrolled Nurse in 1984. I worked for a couple of years in London after that.

What put an end to your career progression at this time?I got married and my husband was in the Army and based in Cyprus so I moved over there with him for 6 months. When we came back to UK I did some Agency work but then found out I was pregnant.

How exciting! Any regrets?
Not at all. I was married, had a beautiful baby and could go back to nursing when I wanted to. That never actually happened though. We were moving around every 2 years with my husband’s job I enjoyed being at home with the children.

Can you explain a little about your degree? What do you hope to use it for?
I am doing an Open degree with the Open University. By doing an Open course I can choose which courses I like the look of rather than it being a structured degree. Each course has a set amount of points awarded to it when completed and in order to get my honours degree I have to have a total of 360 points.  Depending on the final degree classification I have the option to retrain as a primary school teacher but mostly it has boosted my self esteem and made me realise that my potential is high and I am capable of doing anything I choose.

What made you decide to start a degree at the time you did?
I was going through a very difficult time, my husband had left and I was feeling very, very low. The children aged 8, 13 & 17 were still all at school and quite dependant. I was working as a Teaching Assistant and whilst I loved the job it was a struggling to bring up 3 children and manage the household bills on a Teaching Assistants wage.
My thought at that time was that I could continue with work and better myself with the degree to then go into teaching. That thought is still there although I have since had to move out of education for the time being as it became impossible to stay afloat. Taking the degree was also a way of boosting my self esteem.  At that point I felt that I was not worth much as I had failed at what I wanted most – my family.

Did you not fancy going back to nursing?
I had been out of practice too long. I would’ve had to have spent a long time retraining and although with my degree I technically am retraining, I was at a different stage in my life. I wanted to do the degree for me personally, as well as to help with my career.

Has it been difficult to juggle with a family and working? How have you coped?
Yes it has been very difficult especially as a single parent as it is all down to me.  Housework is not my top priority although when as assignment is due even the ironing becomes appealing! My time for studying is either late at night or early in the morning before everyone else is awake. Now the children are older it is easier to ask for the odd hour to myself if I need to study however, quite often I can be found burning the midnight oil when an assignment is due the following day!
Looking back I don’t know how I have coped. Going through the last 5 years, even though it was devastating, has made me a stronger person and perhaps it’s that strength that has kept me going.  The girls are now older and this is now the time that I can be a little bit selfish and say this is my time!

Do you wish you had done this sooner? (i.e before family etc)
There is always that thought – if I had done this sooner maybe I would have a better job, maybe this, maybe that but at the end of the day I didn’t do it sooner and if I had my whole life may have been different.  There are things I would like to change with regard to what has happened but I have 3 lovely girls who I wouldn’t change for the world.

Has studying and achieving with this degree helped you as a person?I think undertaking this degree, even though it has been self study, it has helped me to build my confidence levels.

Was the decision to start the degree a difficult one? Were there any obstacles?
It was something I had been thinking about for a while but had always been put off as the family had been my priority. The main obstacle that worried me at the beginning was how to finance it as it was a struggle just to keep afloat however because I was on a low wage and could prove it with my tax credits I was able to apply for yearly student grants to have my course fully funded. As long as I complete my degree within 6 years I will not have paid for anything.  This is a huge boost to help those on low wages to feel that they have the chance to change their lives for the better.

Do you have any regrets now?
The only regrets are perhaps that there are times when I have had to put studying before the children.  That said, they are not little anymore and are able to understand that sometimes other things become the priority and that this was important to me as an individual and something I needed for me.

Has studying for your degree changed your future goals?
Now I have the option to do a teacher training course or to move onto a job where the salary could be enhanced as I will be post grad.  Whether I will take up teaching or not is a different matter, but now that option is open to me.

Do you have any advice for anyone who is missing out on studying at a younger age because of certain circumstances?
If you have the chance to study while you are younger grab it with both hands – you will reap the rewards further down the line! However, sometimes life just gets in the way and other things become a priority but there is always a chance at any age to pick up and continue studying either at a college or brick uni or through Open University. The only thing would say is never live with regrets or ‘what if’.

Linda’s decision to study later on in life is one that is predicted to become more popular every year. The option of this type of study gives young mums or people struggling to afford the rising fees the hope that they still have a chance.

The Open University began in 1969 and since then has helped 1.6million people and has over 7,000 tutors. It is the biggest university in the entire UK. There are no entry requirements, so even if you didn’t achieve to your full potential at school or otherwise, the Open University is still available to you.
 Studying with the Open University is an easy way to gain access to higher education. You choose your own subjects and study in your own time. Self study can be a daunting prospect, but the OU provides you with your own locally-based tutor who is available to advise and motivate. You will be able to meet your tutor face to face or contact electronically, and they will be able to provide support with assignments. And there is no need to worry about your tutor just being anybody who thought they would make some money on the internet. All the tutors are experts in their study and have combined working as a tutor with other academic or industry jobs.

Although the OU don’t feature in any official league tables due to the fact they are not residential, does not mean they are less prestigious. Employers recognise the qualifications obtained and last year it achieved a 93% satisfaction rating from its students.

To find out more or apply for yourself visit www.open.ac.uk.




No comments:

Post a Comment